Workshop: Inclusive teaching for international students
The workshop will explore how students' differing cultural backgrounds and expectations can inform best teaching practices on Wednesday, 29 June 2022, from 9:30 to 11:00.
Date: 29 June 2022, from 9:30 to 11:00
The Centre for Educational Development
Building 1911, room 320
8000 Aarhus C
Registration: Sign up for the workshop here (registration deadline: 28 June 2022)
About the workshop
Universities are becoming increasingly international, with students coming from a variety of cultural, linguistic, and academic backgrounds. A robust educational system should be equipped to promote student success in such a diverse environment.
This workshop will explore the ways in which students' differing cultural backgrounds and expectations can inform best teaching practices. In particular, we will consider the challenges that international students can face in the classroom and help you identify strategies and resources that can make your teaching more equitable and inclusive for all students.
- Understand the types of barriers (e.g., academic, socio-cultural) that can impact international student success
- Reflect on the cultural/institutional differences that might impact international students at Aarhus University
- Develop inclusive teaching strategies and identify resources that will make these classrooms more equitable
- Introduction + goals
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Applying UDL
- Inclusive assessment and backward design
- Backward design activity
- Best practices for inclusive assessment
- Resources, feedback, and wrap-up